18 September 2017
Recent changes to the Ring clients
Changes to Ring, since the release of the 1.0 version:
- SIP call audio fixed.
- Name registration fixed.
- SIP account creation and contact management improved.
- UI improvements during video calls.
- Missing DLL (needs reinstallation of Ring from the website).
- SIP UI correction and behavior fix (no messaging outside calls),
- Various bug fixes:
- Closing first wizard without creating account doesn't crash the app anymore.
- Clicking on old formatted contacts won't crash the app.
- General UI improvement:
- Contextual menu of contact list fixed.
- Multiple size and ratio adjustments.
- Code cleaning and refactorisation.
- Fix: Add contacts to the correct models.
- Fix smart infos display during a call.
- Fix a crash when ContactMethod is null.
- Improved display of avatars (circle and color pallet, common to all desktop clients).
- Improved display of contact requests.
- Improved display of messages reception date.
- YouTube videos and images can now be displayed into the conversation window.
- Displayed messages are now grouped by reception date.
3. Other changes:
- Remove the category label for a contact in the call view.
- Remove the ability to drag-and-drop an object in the chat view.
- Add a setting to enable/disable the preview of images and videos in the conversation window.
- Removal of the add contact pannel which allowed to change your name and add it to Contacts.
- Remove the "Add to Contact" popover. It is now a single click action.
- Adding a default avatar (a white lettre inside a coloured circle).
- Minor cosmetic changes (commit 053283b2 & 22f71275).
- Many automatic translations uptades.
Changes on the Ring daemon
1. Addition of the following tests:
⁃ functional: SIP
⁃ Unit-Test: various simple classes for now
This is a GSoC 2017 contribution by Olivier Gregoire, accessible by command /make check/ (see test/ directory for further details)
1.1 RingAccount: archive can now be saved in plain text (not encrypted) without password. In this case the archive is just a plain json file compressed with gzip.
⁃ Android: restbed crash
⁃ prevent DHT connection on disabled account
⁃ avoid flipping DHT connection status
⁃ tweak vp8 parameters for better live performances
⁃ fix RingAccount certificate check code to be compliant with gnutls >= 3.4.11
⁃ various refactoring for code cleanup/maintainance
⁃ various build fixes on dedicated platforms
⁃ build log less verbose (almost for boost)
4. Contribs (Bumps/Downgrades/Add/Remove)
⁃ restbed/asio 4.6
⁃ opendht (latest)
⁃ x264 (latest)
⁃ vpx 1.6.1
⁃ ffmpeg 3.3.3g
⁃ Boost 1.64
⁃ (UWP) downgrade gnutls 3.4.17
⁃ (UWP) downgrade pjproject 2.5.5
⁃ libav removed (ffmpeg is now used everywhere)